“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God,” said Jesus, the Prince of Peace. Peace is the wholeness and well-being that God wills for all creation. The Peace & Global Witness Offering is received during the Season of Peace, which ends on World Communion Sunday, October 1. A gift to the Peace & Global Witness Offering enables the church to promote the Peace of Christ by addressing systems of injustice across the world. Individual congregations are encouraged to utilize up to 25% of this Offering to sustain their local peacemaking ministries. Please give generously.
UKirk@Purdue is getting involved in the cleanup efforts following the devastation by the storms and earth quake that have recently struck southern and central North America. We’d like to go through PDA’s (Presbyterian Disaster Assistance) pipeline by assembling ‘Gift of the Heart’ Kits and mailing them off.
The hardest part of this, for college students, is getting the stuff from the store. So what we are asking is for the congregations of our associate churches to collect donations of the supply items, and then UKirk@Purdue will do the handling of assembling, packaging, and shipping of them to PDA.
Below is the list of items that go into the kits. Donations of any amount of anything from these groups will be welcomed and appreciated. At Central collection will be on going for the next two weeks at the services on Sunday and at the office (9a.m -1p.m.) during the week.
- hand towels (approximately 16″ x 28″, no fingertip or bath towels)
- wide-tooth combs (remove from package)
- nail clippers (UPDATE: nail clippers with metal files or emery boards attached are now accepted; remove from package)
- bars of soap (bath size in wrapper)
- toothbrushes (in original packaging)
- Band-Aids® or other adhesive bandage strips
Clean Up Supplies:
- 5-gallon buckets with resealable lid
- scouring pads
- sponges, assorted sizes
- scrub brushes
- packages of cleaning towels (18 reusable, like Easy Wipes®)
- boxes dry laundry detergent, 50-78 oz.
- liquid concentrated household cleaners (like Lysol®), 12 oz.
- bottles liquid disinfectant dish soap (like Dawn®), 24-28 oz.
- packages of clothespins, 48-50 Clothesline, two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.
- dust masks
- latex gloves (like Playtex®)
- work gloves
- 24 to 28 count rolls of heavy-duty trash bags (30-45 gallon, remove from carton)
- bottles insect repellant (pump, drops or lotion; not aerosol), 6-9 oz.
- blunt scissors (rounded tip)
- 70-count spiral notebooks or tape-bound pads of 8″ x 10 1/2″ ruled paper or pads with 200-210 sheets of ruled paper. Do not include filler paper.
- 30-centimeter ruler (12″)
- hand-held pencil sharpeners
- new pencils with erasers
- large erasers
- boxes of 24 crayons
- cloth bags, 12″ x 14″ to 14″ x 17″ finished size cotton cloth bag with cloth handles; pattern available. (Please, no shopping bags or backpacks.)
Room 114 – Education Building – Lead by Pat Egan
They are simple phrases. They sound Christian—like something you might find in the Bible. We’ve all heard these words. They capture some element of truth, yet they miss the point in important ways. Adam Hamilton’s book and DVD, will be our guide as we search for the whole truth by comparing clichés with the wisdom found in scripture. Join in!
Starting September 20th, WOW will be meeting Wednesday mornings for prayer, study and fellowship in the Small Fellowship Hall of the Education Building, from 9:30 – 11:30 am.
This class is not just for members of Central, it is for anyone wanting to enjoy fellowship, support and lively interactions. The fall curriculum, “Sweeter Than Chocolate!” is a study of Psalm 119 by Pam Gillaspie. We will be discovering insights, practical wisdom, and deep truths that will strengthen your relationship and walk with Jesus Christ as we journey through the Bible’s greatest Psalm devoted to the theme of the Word of God.
Please join us for some open and lively discussion. come! For more information please contact Deb Hester